Friday, September 25, 2009

Roasted Fall Veggies



In trying to eat with the seasons, and now being in the full swing of fall, I looked up which veggies qualify (http://www.foodfit.com/healthy/healthyFallFoods.asp) and went crazy at the produce market this week. Also, with midterms and a busy week ahead of me, I threw them all into the oven on Monday to roast so I would have them ready and waiting through the rest of the week. Here's what I bought:
2 small heads broccoli and spears
1 large head cauliflower
1 large turnip
1 small sweet potato
1 small yam
1/2 pound crimini mushrooms
1/2 head garlic
3 large beets (I bought the ones with greens attached and saved them to saute with garlic and olive oil for another night)

I chopped every thing up at once (and peeled the beets with a veggie peeler), threw it all in 2 roasting pans, tossed with spray olive oil, sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper, then into the oven at 400F for an hour. It's Saturday and I'm still eating them!