Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Muffin Mania Breakfast



This morning I started off the thrilling foggy day with a homemade bran flax muffin (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bran-Flax-Muffins/Detail.aspx), which I made some alterations to. I substituted whole wheat flour for all purpose and 3/4 cup white grape juice concentrate for 1 cup of brown sugar (then reduced the milk by 2 tablespoons), and omitted the nuts. This yielded 12 muffins at 210 cal/pop and about 5.5 grams of fiber. I'm obsessed with Trader Joe's Zen Bakery muffins and am trying to replicate them to save some moolah now that summer session is over and I have a bit more time on my hands. These weren't quite there but I'll keep working on it. I complemented my muffin with 3 oz. fresh blueberries (the season is waning so I gotta get em in while I can!) at 48 calories, several glasses of water (per usual), and two Americanos made with Tully's French Roast and almond milk. I usually use soy milk but after reading about the potential dangers of non-fermented soy I've decided to give almond a go. Definitely not an immediate winner but maybe I'll shop around and try other brands. This particular one is Trader Joe's vanilla flavored.
God I love muffins.