Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Cauliflower Quick Trick


In general, I am not a huge fan of cauliflower. I do not like it raw nor steamed, how it most frequently crosses my path. There is a lovely cauliflower gratin in white cream sauce (with fresh chestnuts)recipe my aunt makes, but I think at that point you can't really count it toward your daily veg intake. A quick trick to making cauliflower sweet and tasty, which completely changes its texture (if you're one of those "texture" people) is to chop a head into bite sized florets, spray with olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper, then pop it in the oven at 400F for an hour. The end result is an exceedingly high fiber, low cal snack or side dish with minimal effort. If your oven has one of those handy cooking time settings where it automatically shuts off after the time you indicate, you can even leave it and walk the dog without a worry. An hour to cauliflower perfection - no more, no less. Well...unless you live at a different altitude I guess. In which case - adjust accordingly, please!
A medium head of cauliflower (shown) at about 1lb.5oz., is 150 calories and 15 whopping grams of fiber!!!