Friday, August 21, 2009

Sprouting Adzukis


After reading about all the wonders of living food enzymes in Dr Gillian McKeith's Living Food for Health, I couldn't wait to get some sprouting going myself. I started with dried adzuki beans (from the fruit & veg stand), which I rinsed and covered with a few centimeters of water in a glass, then covered the glass with a piece of cheesecloth and let it sit in the (turned off) oven (any dark, warm place is fine) overnight.
Before going to bed, I checked on them and saw that they had already absorbed all the water, so I spread them out over three glasses instead of the one. By the morning they were plump and all the water had been absorbed.
Next I transferred them to a colander and rinsed them twice a day before returning them to the (turned off) oven. I did this for 5 days. On the 5th morning, I let them sit out on a window sill for a few hours' blast of sunlight (no sun in San
Francisco that day, so filtered sunlight through the overcast sky had to do). I then put them in an airtight container to store in the fridge. They'll keep for 3-4 days. So far, I've made a salad and have been otherwise sprinkling them on most things I eat anyway (sandwiches, millet stew, etc.). They taste a bit like jicama (very crunchy), which I'm not crazy for, but the taste is not very strong so usually whatever you put them in overpowers it. Next I'll try lentils since those I know I like.