Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Slow Cooked "Millet non Pollo"

I'm taking our new love of millet and running with it! Another vegetarian cookbook I recently borrowed from the library is Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. Since school's back in session now, the slow cooker is going to be my saving grace. Surprisingly, I've managed to eliminate nearly all processed foods from my daily diet, without much upset. We'll see how that holds up now that I'll be considerably more busy...

For this recipe, I took "Arros non Pollo" and substituted millet for rice. This made the cooking time longer by nearly an hour, so next time I'll add in the millet in two hours before the end of cooking time and keep an eye on it. Here's the recipe (which I doubled):

1T olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp saffron threads
14.5oz can diced tomato, w/ juices
3 cups veg stock
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
8oz green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1in lengths
15.5oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup millet
3/4 cup your favorite salsa
1/2 cup frozen peas (I used petite peas)
1/3 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives, drained

Heat the oil in a lg skillet over medium heat.
Add the onion, carrot, cook until softened, about 5 min.
Stir in the garlic, oregano, cumin, saffron, cook 2 min. longer.
Transfer the veg mix to a lightly oiled (I used spray olive oil) 4-6qt. slow cooker.
Add the tomatoes, stock, bell pepper, green beans, chickpeas, salt and pepper.
Cover, cook on low for 6-8 hours. *Do not remove the lid during cooking! This adds about 20
min. of cooking time with each peek.
About 2 hours before the end of cooking time, stir in the millet.
About 10 min. before serving, stir in the salsa, peas, olives, and cover.

Makes 4 servings at about 335cals each.