Friday, August 14, 2009

Move Over Cous Cous, Make Way for Millet!


I'm now reading Dr. Gillian McKeith's Living Food for Health: 12 Natural Superfoods to Transform Your Health, and am trying to incorporate these "superfoods" into my diet. Millet, a grain similar to quinoa, is one of the twelve and I decided to incorporate it into tonight's dinner. I didn't have a recipe to go by so I just improvised, incorporating two additional "superfoods": fresh parsley and sunflower seeds. And millet has won us over! Mom and I are now millet converts. I may never cook cous cous again.









Here's what I used:
1 1/2 cups millet
3 cups veg broth
1 T olive oil
1 red onion
1 T chopped fresh ginger
4 yellow squash, chopped
10 kalamata olives
1 T sundried tomatoes in oil
1 chive, chopped
fresh chopped parsley
2 roma tomatoes
1/4 cup + 2 T sunflower seeds
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Bring the millet and veg broth to boil and reduce to simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
Add onions and ginger and sautee, about 3 minutes.
Add squash, pepper flakes, salt&pepper and sautee until fully cooked (about 5 minutes).
In a large bowl, combine the millet and squash mixture, once both are fully cooked. Add remaining ingredients and toss. Enjoy!
Yields 5 servings at 330cals each.